UK-wide operation targets traffickers
22nd June 2016
A week of action across the UK saw dozens of operations targeting the criminals behind trafficking and exploitation.
Codenamed Operation Hornsman, the activity resulted in at least 25 arrests and the identification of 103 potential victims.
Co-ordinated by the National Crime Agency’s UK Human Trafficking Centre (UKHTC), the operation involved 33 different agencies, including police forces, Home Office Immigration Enforcement, HMRC and the Gangmasters Licensing Authority.
Some of the results included:
- Two arrested in Devon for modern slavery offences, including a nail bar manager;
- Five Albanian nationals arrested for immigration offences in Gloucestershire;
- A car wash manager arrested for money laundering offences in Cheshire;
- 14 people arrested for predominantly immigration offences in Wiltshire;
- A woman arrested for modern slavery and money laundering offences in Bath.
If you suspect that modern slavery is taking place please contact the police on 101.
Information can be passed anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or online at https://crimestoppers-uk.org/.
Press release issued by NCA. For more information from the GLA contact the NCA press team on 020 7979 5835.