Enforcement action 2019/20
Freedom of Information Act Request
Ref: FOI 20-21 08
Date issued: 03 August 2020
Subject: Enforcement action 2019/20
1. Can you tell me how many inspections have been carried out by the GLAA from 1/4/2019 to the 31/3/2020.
2. Can you tell me how many search warrants have been obtained by the GLAA under Section 8 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 from 1/4/2019 to the 31/3/2020.
3. Can you tell me how many prosecutions the GLAA have instigated under the Modern Slavery Act 2015 from 1/4/2019 to the 31/3/2020.
1. A total of 213 inspection cases were tasked during the period 1/4/2019 to the 31/3/2020. Please note, inspections tasked towards the end of this period may be carried through to the next business year for completion.
2. During the period 01/04/2019 – 31/03/2020 we obtained a total of 44 warrants to undertake searches. The GLAA’s powers under PACE enable it to obtain warrants under section 8. Our powers also enable a warrant following the process in section 9 and Schedule 1 of PACE if it is considered that a warrant might identify evidence that could be classed as “special procedure material”. Furthermore, the GLAA’s pre-existing powers under the Gangmasters (Licensing) Act 2004, section 17, enabled it to apply for a non-PACE warrant for entry and search. 36 of the records specifically referred to PACE or section 8), though a small number may not have been under PACE or s8 warrants specifically, but the other situation in which warrants could be obtained, as explained.
3. The GLAA instigated one prosecution under the Modern Slavery Act during the period 1/4/2019 to the 31/3/2020.
A pdf version of this page can be found by clicking the link below: